The Beauty Dept / Vitamin C: It Brightens, Tightens, Lightens...
WORDS BY MARCIA KILGORE
Vitamin C: It Brightens, Tightens, Lightens...
…and of course, like anything, takes consistency, repetition and discipline. But topical Vitamin C has multiple benefits for your skin, so whether you’re looking for radiance boosting, or pigmentation brightening, or over the longer-term, to help kick your natural collagen-production up a notch, we’ve sourced three of the best Vitamin C serums (ok, one is really a lightweight moisturizer). Two are from the best lab in Switzerland and one is from the best cosmeceutical company in Italy!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF VITAMIN C?
Some call it the ‘holy grail’ skincare vitamin, because it...
- Is a potent antioxidant. And applied regularly (consistency is key), it can neutralize free radicals, which are suspected to be ground zero for inflammation-based aging.
- Helps boost your skin’s natural regeneration process, luminosity and radiance, plus equalizes uneven skin tone and improves your skin’s texture.
- Helps fight fine lines and can help fade acne scars.
- Brightens the skin and helps repair damage from UV rays.
- Helps protect your skin from environmental aggressors - making it a morning skincare routine essential.
- Is universally recommended by dermatologists and skincare experts everywhere.
HOW TO ADD VITAMIN C INTO YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE...
SUPER RETINOL (+ VITAMIN C) NIGHT RENEWAL MOISTURIZER
“Whether you’re a retinol regular or a nervous newcomer, this potent yet skin-friendly formula is a must-try.” Elle, November 2019
This has everything anti-aging in it: encapsulated Retinol (resurfacing), Ficucell Vita (antioxidant), Shea Butter (nourishing), Ferulic Acid and Hyaluronic Acid (plumping and hydrating) AND VITAMIN C. It's smoothing, moisturizing, fine-line and wrinkle tackling, and brightening. Best for? If you’re over 30 and want to stage a multi-pronged, Vitamin-C boosted attack on the first - or any existing - signs of aging.
HOW TO APPLY VITAMIN C MOISTURIZER
1. Apply 1-2 pumps to your face and neck after cleansing/toning/essence and serum (if you use one).
2. Extra effective when used every evening on top of our original formula Super Retinol Ceramide-Boost Anti-Aging Face Serum.
SUPER HEALTHY SKIN™ DAILY VITAMIN C DEFENSE SERUM
“I can’t live without a vitamin C serum…Beauty Pie do some of the best. I use a low to moderate dose in the daytime to give antioxidant protection, then something more concentrated at night to treat pigmentation.” Sali Hughes, Little Black Beauty Book, March 2020
This is like a dose of fresh air for your face. With Vitamin C-rich Kakadu Plum, Thymus Peptides and Raspberry Stem Cells, it fights the aging effects of free radicals and pollution, hydrates, calms and smooths your skin. Made in Switzerland. Best for Normal/Combination/Sensitive/Oily Skin - use it after cleansing and under your moisturizer.
HOW TO APPLY VITAMIN C SERUM
1. Using your fingertips, massage 2-3 pumps onto your face and neck (and if you wish, décolleté) after cleansing and exfoliating.
2. Allow to absorb before applying moisturizer and/or sunscreen. Use both morning and evening for best results.
SUPERACTIVE CAPSULES PURE DOUBLE VITAMIN C & VITAMIN E SERUM
“I flipping LOVE these. I’ve been using them for several months and they’ve made a significant difference to some pigmentation marks on the sides of my face. Amazing value for money.” Kay Gil, Beauty Pie member, Online
Go ahead. Take our best shot. Our super-targeted ‘one-shot’ face serum capsules hold fresh-doses of stable 10% pure Vitamin C (plus symbiotic Vitamin E) and you layer them under moisturizer as-and-when-needed, with a simple twist and squeeze. Vegan. Portable. In a biodegradable alginate (Seaweed) shell. Best for extreme repair and extreme action brightening.
HOW TO APPLY VITAMIN C CAPSULES
1. Twist the neck of the capsules to open, then lightly tap the serum directly onto clean skin. (Use one capsule for face, and if you wish, another for neck, décolleté and the back of your hands.)
2. Follow with your favourite moisturizer, treatment serum or cream, and in the morning, use sunscreen.
3. Use daily – day or night – for most effective results. Includes 60 capsules.
CAN VITAMIN C IRRITATE SKIN?
Vitamin C shouldn’t cause any skin irritation if used correctly, but if the products you’re using have a high concentration, the acidic qualities can cause some minor sensitivity.
If you have sensitive skin, make sure you:
- Choose skincare products with a maximum 10% concentration of Vitamin C.
- Introduce it gradually. If it’s recommended to use a product twice a day, start off with one dose to give your skin time to adjust.
THE MANY NAMES OF VITAMIN C...
Vitamin C goes by many names in the beauty industry. These are the titles to look out for on ingredients labels:
L-ascorbic Acid - The chemical name for Vitamin C. It’s pure, but it can be unstable when blended with other cosmetic ingredients.
Ascorbyl Phosphate - A slightly weaker form of Vitamin C that can be dissolved in water (making it a popular choice for water-based skincare products like serums).
NIKKOL VC-IP® - A cosmetic Vitamin C that can be dissolved in oil-based products, like moisturisers.
Vitamin C Ester – A non-acidic version of Vitamin C, which can be more soothing on sensitive skin.
Superox-C – Extracted from the Vitamin C-rich Kakadu Plum and used in a range of beauty products.
Join Beauty Pie
At BEAUTY PIE, our mission is to make you feel like a kid in a cosmetics candy store.
To bring you the fairy tale. To deliver the absolute best in beauty nonstop, at prices so amazing, even a splurge is a steal.
Because there should be no guilt in feeling gorgeous.